Getting Started 5 minutes
- Review of the previous day’s lesson and concepts. Connection to today’s lesson.
Activity #1: Math Basics for Modelling 15 minutes
- Review coordinates on a graph; connect coordinate system to Spaceland.
- Create turtles in different quadrants of Spaceland and use new blocks to make turtles move in a specific direction.
Activity #2: Inspecting the Water Pumping Model 10 minutes
- Identify familiar coding blocks
- Decode model in pairs.
- Optional: connect prerequisite concept review from Lesson 1 to ask what is and is not reflected in the model.
Activity #3: Adding Slider for Evaporation Rate 15 minutes
- Add a slider for evaporation rate.
- Run an experiment using the evaporation slider.
- Discuss the results and relate them to the hydrologic cycle.
Wrap-Up 5 minutes (Reflection)
- Discuss limitations of the model and think of ways of improving it.
StarLogo Nova Models
- M2.L2.A2 (Water Pumping STARTER base model)
- M2.L2.A3 (Water Pumping STARTER base model with evaporation slider)